CHCDC began acquiring rental property in the early 1990s. Since then our affordable housing communities remain a platform for the delivery of our programs. Our housing program is designed to provide quality housing needs, enhance neighborhood environments and encourage community pride and involvement. All apartments are in City Heights, the majority for very low to low income families (60% AMI or under). We strive not only to provide affordable living but more specifically QUALITY affordable housing. Currently, CHCDC is a managing or co-general partner in three Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) properties, totaling 366 affordable housing units in City Heights. Construction is currently underway for a 60-unit development that will house seniors at risk of homelessness.
The Housing Director may perform any or all the following duties, directly and/or through the work of other staff supervised by the Housing Director, and through contracts for services. This list is illustrative and does not include all the tasks the employee may be expected to perform.
- Provide oversight for CHCDC housing programs and properties including supervision of property management personnel and ensuring successful evaluation and coordination of existing portfolio.
- Ensure that programs comply with funding regulations and implement a strategic plan for maintenance of the existing portfolio of properties.
- Maintain internal controls and standards concerning maintenance and repairs.
- Work with staff to ensure that programs and processes are evaluated and/or modified to obtain maximum efficiency and potentially improve outcomes.
- Manage and administer financial accounts related to programs and properties and maintain internal financial controls in conjunction with the accountant.
- Prepare reports related to existing and proposed housing issues for the CHCDC Housing Committee of the Board and/or the Board of Directors.
- Attend board, committee, and neighborhood events as requested by the Executive Director.
- Advise the Executive Director on real estate related matters, including long term capital improvement plans, grant compliance, and the maintenance and rehab of properties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Use a variety of data collection tools and procedures to develop community needs assessments, housing market analyses, and projects concepts.
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend potential project sites and project concepts and participate in negotiations and the acquisition of project sites.
- Develop and update project pro formas including predevelopment, development, and operating budgets and sources of construction and permanent financing.
- Solicit, negotiate, and secure project financing from a variety of public and private sources. Obtain all required land use approvals.
- Draft requests for qualifications / proposals, and negotiate, prepare, and manage contracts for a variety of development professionals.
- Coordinate outreach to impacted neighborhoods, develop community support, and maintain positive neighborhood relations during all phases of the development process.
- Serve as the development team coordinator, project manager, and owner’s representative during all phases of project planning and implementation.
- Monitor compliance with all grant, lender, and investor requirements.
- Monitor project expenditures and progress and establish mechanisms for assuring that projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Maintain project records and prepare and submit a variety of reports.
- Review potential funding opportunities to increase the amount of affordable, safe well-maintained housing within City Heights.
- Identify additional sources of funding for housing-related programs and acquisitions, rehab and development.
- Prepare proposals for funding and build relationships and coordinate with city staff to ensure compliance with all requirements of existing contracts for housing projects and programs and other community partners to expand housing opportunities.